Friday 6 March 2009

Vive la France film season



Fans of French film are in for a treat, as a new season of great movies kicks off this weekend on Sky Arts. It's curated by the man who, during the 80s and 90s was everyone's favorite comedy Frenchman – Antoine de Caunes. With his innovative music show on BBC2, Rapido, and then Channel Four's saucy smut-fest Eurotrash he was, for me as an adolescent, the very face of France itself.

Now an established director, de Caunes will discuss his own inspirations and influences as he presents classics such as Orphée by Jean Cocteau and modern works like Love Me If You Dare. For me, though, the undisputed highlight will be a quartet of Jacques Tati films – Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot, Mon Oncle, Playtime and Jour de Fête (pictured, top), which is in my top ten favourites of all time.

The season kicks off tomorrow night, Saturday 7th March with Orphée. I urge you to watch. Alas I won't be able to, as I don't have satellite telly!

No comments: